Wednesday 20 January 2010

Models - reference

I wanted to make a model of the shop because I think in doing so it would not only help me finalise an idea and make drawing a lot less confusing, but help communicate my design fully to all audiences. I used to be a keen model builder, paper and cardboard being the material of choice when I was younger, and yesterday I looked in the library for books on papercaft and also dolls houses. Dolls houses and miniature interiors are a secret passion of mine that I rarely draw upon for inspiration when concerning college work, but I feel it appropriate this time. When thinking about my 'real world' game environment, the shop, I really believe that it can be enhanced if I think about it as a small set or stage where the story happens.

The books I found in the library were predominantly useful because of the fact they made me realise the above, not because of their content in particular. Regardless, while it is still relevant, the books I found were:
3 Dimentional Illustration, Ellen Rixford, Watson-guptill publications/New York 1992

Dolls and Doll Houses, Hamlyn, Middlesex England, 1977

Recently I have taken inspiration from David Petersen's Blog[1], creator and author of graphic novel Mouse Guard[2], who makes models of his architectural locations to help him draw them in his series of books. I was only introduced to this artist very recently, a week or so ago, and although he has inspired me more, Petersen did not spark my initial decision to make a model for my project. I do think looking at his work more will be extremely helpful though, and here are a few examples:






Here is what Petersen says at one point on his blog about his work:
"Like many artists, I find it easier to draw something, if I have a visual reference for it. Even if you have imagined a wonderful setting or room or style of architecture, it can often be complicated to imagine that same image from a different perspective or under different lighting."


[1] http://davidpetersen.blogspot.com/, Jan 2010
[2] http://www.mouseguard.net/, Jan 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment