Tuesday 23 February 2010

Dreamspace and The Neverhood

Nigel also introduced me to Maurice Agis's Dreamspace - "An inflatable, walk-in sculpture made with brightly colored cells was designed to induce a tranquil, relaxed mood and be a colorful interactive experience for visitors." http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/10/view/5554/maurice-agiss-dreamspace-breached-safety-rules.html

 
 The colours and organic shapes bear a similarity to my 'sweetland' but what I found most interesting about searching for information on this installation is that it has a sinister side. The source of the above description is an article covering how 'Dreamspace V' breached health and safety regulations resulting in injury and death. The though of such a down to earth tragedy in such a surreal environment is creepy and sad, but as it was accidental it does not subtract from the innocence the artist intended. Ironically I am trying to achieve a darkness among my game environment while retaining an innocence appealing to children, but not in this way at all. This is simply tragic and very sad. 

Another source have recently been studying for my sweetland research is The Neverhood. A puzzle game for PC (I have generously been made a Mac compatible version by a very talented friend). The environments are mostly plasticine and objects such as glass and wood and metal, that has been filmed to create an interactive scene. It is fairly old (1990s) and I recently saw a 'look back' section of GAMES™ magazine, Imagine Publishing, feature it. I will try to find it and include it in a short review when I have played the game more. For now, here are some images from the web:

 
  
  
So far I mostly like how the scale is so obvious, you can see fingerprints reminding you constantly that it is plasticine and that it has been lovely hand crafted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment