Tuesday 23 February 2010

Lauren Child

I have been introduced to Lauren Child recently by Nigel my tutor. Her illustration style when drawing is similar to Quentin Blake (who I looked at in my first research document) but feels more carefully constructed to me, but just as wistful and alluring. Most famous for her books Charlie and Lola (below left) and Clarice Bean (below right)













Her work I have found most interesting though is her book The Princess and the Pea (below)
This book is illustrated with photographs taken by Polly Borland of scenes created by Child of cut out paper illustrations and dolls house furniture arranged together in small, hand painted card or wooden sets.

After making one model I am enthusiastic to make another, more intricate and accurate to the changes I have made - and more substantial. This is a bigger task though and I will attempt it next year. For now I may make a section (eg the shop counter and old man) in paper to see if it would work.

I have always loved doll's houses and have animated this way before. I am still keen to do some 2D drawn animation, but this is a different way a 2D image can be brought to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment