Monday 1 November 2010

Narration: Audiobooks

In re-doing my Game Guide Document from last year I was reminded that I planned for the game to have narration, to create a story book feel. I have been thinking about this lately, after listening to several audiobooks over the summer, ranging from the wonderful Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter to some terrible, free audiobooks including various Jane Austen works. Traditionally, the narrator of the audiobook will also do the character's voices as opposed to radio style adaptations where there are additional voice actors to play each part, and usually sound effects and music. This can work well to create atmosphere and to make convincing and enjoyable characters, but I feel the more traditional style with one narrator would suit my game idea better.

Having one voice do all the narration and character parts, or even no character parts at all, would leave adequate mystery for the audience to interpret their own versions of the characters (as previously discussed in length in my last post). Whether this works as well when you can see the character design, as you would do in my game, I have yet to figure out. For now the plan is to go ahead with narration as the main storytelling device, and I have suitable voice actor in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment